Diary Of A Drug Fiend

Diary Of A Drug Fiend Cover

Book: Diary Of A Drug Fiend by Aleister Crowley

Aleister Crowley's first published novel was "Diary of a Drug Fiend." The book was originally published in London in 1922. Although written over seventy-five years ago, the book is still relevant for today's readers. The book paints a vivid picture of the mind of drug users. The drug user's highs, lows, and sometimes strange thought patterns are described in great detail in this interesting book.

Aleister Crowley is one of the great unheralded masters of the Enlgish language. Many aspects of his spiritual and philosophical views may leave some people in the dust, however. The mysticism can be perplexing to the average reader. Diary Of A Drug Fiend is successful because it is very easy to understand. The use of language is masterful. It is not a pretty story, to be sure, and many will disagree with the seemingly pro drug message but it is a great tale. Peter Pendragon and Unlimited Lou are presented as both sympathetic and contemptible characters. One feels empahty but it is tainted by the knowledge that they have created their own problems. They are weak. King Lamus almost seems to be like a zen master who patiently guides his pupils to higher heights. I can not say that I agree entirely with the philosophy espoused by King Lamus but it is exhilarating to follow this tale as it unfolds. I am sure many will be offended by Crowleys portrayal of King Lamus as a master who can use and not use drugs with ease. I do not suggest that mastery over heroin or cocaine is easy or even possible but this is just a work of fiction. It should not be taken literally. I do not know if this is meant as a self defense for Crowleys own drug use. It is irrelevent to me. Many great artists were alcoholics or drug addicts. It does not deter my admiration for this spectacularly well written book. aleister crowley could have been one of the great novelists had he chosen to pursue that path. This was one of the best reads I had in years.

The infamous aleister crowley invokes a reaction with some people. Some say he was strange and went off the deep-end with his involvement in Magick, the practice of using various techniques to exert control over the forces of nature. If one is too close-minded to read this book because of the author's reputation, he or she would be missing a great read.

This story is supposedly based on truth. False names were used to conceal the identities of the people in the book. For instance, aleister crowley is called Peter Pendragon in the book. Peter went to a pub and was socializing with some people he knew when he saw the woman that would change his life, Lou.

"Across the moaning body of the blackmailer, I was looking at the face of a girl that I had never seen before. And I said to myself, "Well, that's all right, I've known you all my life." And when I said to myself "my life," I didn't in the least mean my life as Peter Pendragon, I didn't even mean a life extending through the centuries, I meant a different kind of life --something with which centuries have nothing whatever to do (Crowley 11)."

This truly eloquent description of Peter's first glimpse of Lou reveals that Crowley was truly a master of language. The book is written in such a clever way that the reader continues to want more.

Basically, the story is of Peter falling madly in love with a woman named Lou. They run off to Paris and travel throughout Europe. Lou introduces Peter to cocaine and heroin and they quickly become dependent on the narcotics. When their supply of drugs runs out, the withdrawal troubles begin. Lou's father, King Lamus, helps the two overcome their addiction by the application of practical Magick. Both Peter and Lou find their true purpose in life and live happily ever after.

Diary Of A Drug Fiend appealed to me because I knew someone that was caught up in drug addiction and wanted to know more about it. I wanted to know what it felt like and how the drug user felt. This book totally met my expectations and more, it showed me exactly what I was looking for. In the first instance I began to dislike the book because it seems to glorify drugs but then I suppose that is what it feels like when you are using the drugs.

"Diary of a Drug Fiend" would be a beneficial source of information for professionals involved with the psychology of addiction. Doctors, lawyers, police, and the average person would gain insight into the thought patterns of a drug addict from the first high, to the constant effort to regain the effects of the first high. The craving for the drug, and how it is the only thing the user thinks about when he or she does not have the drug for a period of time is covered thoroughly. How selfish and careless one becomes when he or she needs a fix is also mentioned in the book. Peter lost his love for Lou because he could only think of the drugs. He quickly knew this was wrong and constantly tried to regain his love for Lou.

If people are open-minded and enjoy challenging their beliefs, then "Diary of a Drug Fiend" may be the book to read. At the time of reading this book, I found many useful insights that could dramatically change one's life contained within its pages. Overall, this book by Aleister Crowley is fantastic.

Buy Aleister Crowley's book: Diary Of A Drug Fiend

Free eBooks (Can Be Downloaded):

Anonymous - Dictionary Of The Forgotten Ones
Aleister Crowley - 1907 Diary Fragments
Julia Phillips - History Of Wicca In England
Aleister Crowley - The Diary Of A Drug Fiend

Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes & ChethstudiosDesign by Metalab
Copyright © Thelema and Faith